Candia, with 100 terracotta roofs, lies on the slopes of Monte Santo Stefano in the southern hills of the moraine amphitheatre of Ivrea, in the lower Canavese area.
Monte Santo Stefano, which towers over the surrounding mountains, offers a majestic panorama with the Po valley on one side with the hills of Monferrato, those of Superga and Maddalena above Turin and, at the end, Monviso and the Alps. In the opposite direction, facing north, there is the green landscape of the Canava area with the straight Serra that resembles the sea and, at the very end, the Mombarone and Gran Paradiso.
Candia is the front door of the Canavese area. There is a lake, residue of ancient glaciers, in the basin that opens to the Dora Baltea plain, forests on the hills, and rows of trees surrounding meadows, blossoming orchards and vineyards.
Candia has always been the scene of battles – in the 13th and 14th centuries, the bishop Count of Ivrea, the Marquis of Monferrato and the Prince of Acaja fought for dominion of the land. At the end of the mediaeval period, the Marquises of Monferrato consolidated their signoria (feudal domain), which continued until the peace of Cherasco in 1631 when the Savoys, sovereigns of Piedmont, took their place.
Chronicles from 1300-1600 tell of continual sieges, fires and destruction in the area and village of Candia. It is the home of strong, tenacious people, and the village found the resources for survival in the land and lake. Its wines – the Erbaluce and Passito, have been well-known for centuries; the fish in the lake, tench and pike, have been admired in the markets of neighbouring towns since the 18th century. A system of fish conservation using deep wells filled with ice during the winter, allowed the ingenious fishermen of Candia to trade in fish two centuries before the invention of frozen goods.